6th Grade Summer Reading & Math - 2016
Dear Sixth Graders,
I hope you all have a restful, fun Summer Vacation. While relaxing at the beach or cooling off by the pool, I have some books that I would like you to read. I hope you enjoy them.
Have a great vacation & LET'S GO METS!!!
For your summer reading assignment, you are required to read three books; one required and two of your own choice:
1. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (This is the required book).
2. 1 fiction book of your choice
3. 1 nonfiction book of your choice
You are required to complete the following two assignments:
- After reading all three books, you are to select one book and write one full paragraph (6-8 sentences) reviewing the book. Book reviews usually give a brief summary of what the book is about, and tell a little bit about the main character(s). When writing the book review, be sure to include what you liked or disliked about the book. At the end of the review, make sure that you state if you would recommend the book to someone else to read. Check the paragraph carefully for spelling and grammar mistakes. This assignment should be typed and have a proper heading. Always underline the title of a book.
- On an 8 ½ by 11 piece of poster board or construction paper make a collage about one of the three required reading books. Select pictures from the computer, magazines, or draw your own. The pictures should represent the characters, events or themes of the book. Make sure when selecting pictures you pick things that remind you of the book! The title of the book should be in the middle of the collage, surrounded by pictures. Your first and last name should be written in the bottom right hand corner on the front of the collage so I can display your great work.
**Update 7/31/16- IXL has done a major renaming of the skills. The skills you need to complete are highlighted on the 6th grade page of the IXL website. As long as you've done the highlighted skills you are in good shape.
Please do the following IXL assignments over the summer. You must achieve a Smartscore of 80% or higher on each one. This will be counted as your first quiz grade.
6th grade IXL: E.7, E.8, F.2, G.1, I.3, I.5, I.7, I.8, J.1, J.2, J.3 and J.4
Thank you and Let's Go Yankees!! - Mrs. Schroeder
Some Information and Reminders
- Both assignments for Mr. Curtin and the IXL for Mrs. Schroeder are due on the first day of school in September.
- At some point in September, there will be a test on Maniac Magee.
This letter is attached below if you wish to download and print.